• The Connecticut Trolley System – Fairfield County

  • Back

Bethel with several hat factories was served until 1926 by a line of the Danbury & Bethel Street Railway.


Bridgeport once had nearly 500 factories manufacturing many diverse product like sewing machines, firearms, hardware, phonographs, cutlery, typewriters and electrical equipment. Until 1937, the city also had streetcar service.


51 of Danbury’s 70 mills were engaged in hatmaking; most of the others produced materials used by the hat industry, such as cardboard boxes. “Hat City” was served by the Danbury & Bethel Street Railway from 1887 until 1926.


Darien, Noroton and Noroton Heights were served by cars on the Stamford-Norwalk line which ran along the Post Road (U. S. 1). Before a track connection was made with the Conn. Co. Stamford Division in 1914, passengers had to walk across the Noroton River Bridge. Through cars operated until 1935.


The Greenwich Tramway began running from Adams Corner to Sound Beach in 1902. New York & Stamford cars to New Rochelle served the town 1905-1927. The New Haven RR 11,000 volt power generating station was in Cos Cob.


Dodgingtown on the western border of the town was reached by a line of the Danbury & Bethel Street Railway.


Oysters were the town’s principle product, but there were also factories in South Norwalk manufacturing tires, hats and hardware. Local streetcars operated until 1933 and the line from Bridgeport continued to run until 1935.


Redding has four primary sections: Redding Center, Redding Ridge, West Redding (including Lonetown, Sanfordtown, and Topstone), and Georgetown which extends into the towns of Ridgefield, Weston and Wilton. There were no streetcars in Redding, but the New Haven RR ran electric trains through Sanford and Topstone on its line to Danbury until 1959.


Mines in the town of Ridgefield produced quartz, feldspar, mica and other minerals. The town had no streetcars but, until 1959, the New Haven RR electric trains to Danbury passed through Branchville, a neighborhood extending into Wilton and Redding. Branchville was named for the railroad branch line running west from that point to Ridgefield village.


The Housatonic River Dam, completed in 1877, gave the factories in town a tremendous source of power. Local car lines were built by the Shelton Street Railway. The town was served by cars on the Bridgeport- Derby line until 1927. and by local cars from Derby until 1937.


The cylinder lock was invented in Stamford by Linus Yale in 1848. Horsecar service started in 1887 and trolleys began running in 1894. NY & Stamford cars ran to New Rochelle, NY, 1905-1926. All trolley service ended in 1933.


Stratford was served by cars on the Bridgeport-Derby line until 1927 and the Bridgeport-New Haven line until 1934.


Westport, Greens Farms, Saugatuck and Southport were served by the Norwalk-Bridgeport line running along the Post Road (U.S 1). Cars operated until 1935.


Wilton had no streetcars, but the New Haven RR ran electric trains through Wilton and South Wilton on its line to Danbury. There were two stations in the town – one in Wilton Center and one just north of the town center at Cannondale.