The Willimantic-Coventry line ran across the southwest corner of the town through Perkins Corner from 1909 to 192


Bethel with several hat factories was served until 1926 by a line of the Danbury & Bethel Street Railway.


Darien, Noroton and Noroton Heights were served by cars on the Stamford-Norwalk line which ran along the Post Road (U. S. 1). Before a track connection was made with the Conn. Co. Stamford Division in 1914, passengers had to walk across the Noroton River Bridge. Through cars operated until 1935.


Dodgingtown on the western border of the town was reached by a line of the Danbury & Bethel Street Railway.

Deep River

The piano manufacturing community of Deep River was served by the Shore Line Electric Railway from 1912 to 1919.


Served until 1930 by cars on the Waterbury-Woodbury line which passed the amusement park at Lake Quassipaug. Many years after the trolleys stopped running, dairy farms were still the towns principal business.

North Branford

Totoket and North Branford on the southern edge of the town were served by the Shore Line Electric Railway 1911-1919 and the New Haven & Shore Line 1923-1930


The best tobacco wrapping leaf came from the Connecticut River Valley. Blue Hills and Bloomfield were served by cars from Hartford between 1909 and 1929.


Connecticut's first electric railway began running in Ansonia and Derby in 1888. Interurban cars went to Bridgeport until 1927, to Waterbury until 1935 and to New Haven until 1937. Local cars also stopped running in 1937.

North Canaan

In the late 19th and early 20th century, the dairy industry was important in North Canaan. Milk was brought to the Borden plant next to the railroad in the center of town. The milk was shipped twice a day to New York City.

East Hartford

The East Hartford & Glastonbury Horse RR became the East Hartford & Glastonbury Street Railway in 1899 and was merged into the Consolidated Railway in 1905. The Conn. Co. was created in 1907 and provided trolley service in the town until 1939.


Home of the State Insane Asylum, Reform School for Girls and Wesleyan University, the city's first local car lines were built by the Middletown Horse RR, which became the Middletown Street Railway in 1895. NYNH&H RR lines from Middletown to Berlin, Cromwell and Meriden were electrified with trolley wire in 1906. Streetcars served the city until 1929.

North Haven

The town's principal industry was brickmaking. A car line was built by the New Haven & North Haven Street RR which was merged into the Fair Haven & Westville RR in 1899. Conn. Co. cars on the New Haven-Wallingford line ran through town until 1937.


Branford is home of the Branford Electric Railway – the oldest continuously operated country trolley line in America and now a National Historic District. The line opened in July, 1900, and served the vacation communities of Short Beach, Indian Neck, Pine Orchard, and Stony Creek along the shore of Long Island Sound. Conn. Co. service continued until 1947, when the museum took over the portion of the line between East Haven and Short Beach.

East Haven

The Conn. Co. ran to East Haven and Momauguin on Long Island Sound until 1947. Its line to Wallingford also ran across the nortwest corner of the town until 1937. Foxon on the northern edge of the town was served by the Shore Line Electric Ry. 1910-1919 and by the New Haven & Shore Line 1923-1930

North Stonington

Hourly service in North Stonington was furnished by the Norwich & Westerly from 1904 to 1928.

« of 4 »