The lock-manufacturing village of Terryville was served by the Bristol-Plainville Tramway / Bristol Traction Co.


The Portland Street Railway built the line which was absorbed by the Middletown Street Railway in in 1898. Portland, which supplied much of the "brownstone" for New York City's row houses, was served by Conn. Co. cars from Middletown until 1929.


Hourly service was provided by the Norwich & Westerly from 1906 to 1928. This company operated out of a barn in Hallville.


The trolley line between Waterbury and Cheshire passed through Prospect until 1937.


Putnam, located at Cargill Falls on the Quinnebaug River was one of the busiest mill towns in eastern Connecticut. It was served by trolleys until 1925.


Redding has four primary sections: Redding Center, Redding Ridge, West Redding (including Lonetown, Sanfordtown, and Topstone), and Georgetown which extends into the towns of Ridgefield, Weston and Wilton. There were no streetcars in Redding, but the New Haven RR ran electric trains through Sanford and Topstone on its line to Danbury until 1959.


Mines in the town of Ridgefield produced quartz, feldspar, mica and other minerals. The town had no streetcars but, until 1959, the New Haven RR electric trains to Danbury passed through Branchville, a neighborhood extending into Wilton and Redding. Branchville was named for the railroad branch line running west from that point to Ridgefield village.

Rocky Hill

Rocky Hill was served by cars on the Hartford-Middletown line.


The settlement at the falls of the Naugatuck River was originally the Chusetown section of Derby. In 1804, the name was changed to Humphreysville. Water powered factories near the falls manufactured cotton cloth, paper, furniture, pens, copper goods and tools. Seymour was incorporated as a town in 1850 and cars on the New Haven-Derby-Waterbury line and local cars from Derby and Ansonia provided service.


The Housatonic River Dam, completed in 1877, gave the factories in town a tremendous source of power. Local car lines were built by the Shelton Street Railway. The town was served by cars on the Bridgeport- Derby line until 1927. and by local cars from Derby until 1937.


A Hartford & Springfield Street Railway branch ran eastward from Enfield into Somers until 1925 along present day CT Route 190.

South Windsor

America's first cigar was manufactured in South Windsor in 1801. The town was served by Hartford & Springfield Street Railway cars from Mass. until 1925 and Conn. Co. cars from Hartford until 1932. Trolleys ran alongside the road which is now U.S. 5 and connected in East Windsor Hill.


Milldale at the southern edge of town was the junction point for lines from Cheshire, Meriden, Plainville and Waterbury. Cars from many points in southern and central Conn. passed through until 1924 en route to the amusement park at Lake Compounce.


Baltic in the southwest corner of the town was served by cars on the Norwich-Willimantic line from 1903 to 1936.


The line was built by the Stafford Springs Street Railway. Conn. Co. cars ran to Stafford Springs, 29.9 miles from downtown Hartford, from 1908 to 1928.


The cylinder lock was invented in Stamford by Linus Yale in 1848. Horsecar service started in 1887 and trolleys began running in 1894. NY & Stamford cars ran to New Rochelle, NY, 1905-1926. All trolley service ended in 1933.


This old whaling town and clipper ship building center was served 1904-1928 by the Groton & Stonington, a part of the Norwich & Westerly and Shore Line Electric systems. Cars ran every half hour.


Stratford was served by cars on the Bridgeport-Derby line until 1927 and the Bridgeport-New Haven line until 1934.


Tobacco was the principal cash crop of the Connecticut River Valley towns like Suffield. The Hartford & Springfield Street Railway running through Suffield connected the Springfield Street Railway and the Conn. Co. systems.


The clock manufacturing community of Plymouth Hollow was incorporated as Thomaston in 1975. It was served by cars from Watebury 1908-1929.


Gail Borden produced the first condensed milk in Torrington in 1856. Other locally manufactured products were needles, ball bearings and roller skates. The isolated Winsted- Torrington trolley line served the town until 1929. Cars also ran to the amusement park at Highland Lake.


Served by the Hartford Manchester & Rockville, a part of the Conn. Co. Trolleys used the New Haven RR tracks between Rockville and East Hartford until 1924. A branch of the Hartford & Springfield also reached Rockville from E. Windsor via Ellington.


This town lies both east and north of the city of New London. It's principal product was millstones. In 1905, the New London & East Lyme St. Ry. began running west alongside the Post Road. In 1916, this line became part of the Shore Line Electric Ry. which ran until 1919.


Watertown was a center of silk thread and garden tool manufacturing. It was served by cars from Waterbury until 1937.

West Hartford

The Hartford & West Hartford Horse RR built the line along Farmington Av. It became part of the Farmington Street Railway line from Hartford to Unionville. Conn. Co. trolleys served the town until 1934.

West Haven

Savin Rock had one of the most popular amusement parks in Conn. served by cars on New Haven local lines as well as through cars on the Bridgeport-New Haven line. The New Haven-Derby line also ran across the northern part of town.

« of 4 »