East Lyme

In 1905, the New London & East Lyme Street Railway began running alongside the Post Road to Flanders Corner and south to Niantic. The Shore Line Electric Railway began operating between Flanders Corner and Old Saybrook in 1913. Cars ran until 1919.


A line from Rockville to Melrose passed through Ellington and Sodds Mill in the western portion of the town until 1910. Crystal Lake in the eastern section of the town was served by cars on the Rockville-Stafford Springs line until 1928.


The Enfield & Longmeadow Electric Railway began running in 1896; It later became part of the Hartford & Springfield Street Railway. Trolleys ran past the farms and through the carpet manufacturing village of Thompsonville until 1926.


This old shipbuilding town was served by the Shore Line Electric Railway from 1914 to 1919.


Built by the Hartford & West Hartford Horse RR, the car line through town became the Farmington Street Railway. The Conn. Co. Hartford-Unionville cars ran past the town's dairy farms until 1934.


Franklin was served by cars on the the Norwich-Willimantic line from 1903 to 1936.


The East Hartford & Glastonbury Horse RR became the East Hartford & Glastonbury Street Railway in 1899 and was merged into the Consolidated Railway in 1905. Passenger trolley service was discontinued in 1928 but freight service continued for several decades.


The Greenwich Tramway began running from Adams Corner to Sound Beach in 1902. New York & Stamford cars to New Rochelle served the town 1905-1927. The New Haven RR 11,000 volt power generating station was in Cos Cob.


Trolleys ran on a New Haven RR line through the cotton and rayon textile center of Jewett City from 1906 to 1925.


Groton was served in 1904-1928 by the Groton & Stonington, a part of the Norwich & Westerly and Shore Line Electric systems. Cars ran every half hour.


Guilford's main industries were oystering and quarrying; granite from Guilford supports the Brooklyn Bridge and Statue of Liberty. In 1910, the Shore Line began running through Leete's Island to Branford; the mainline to North Branford and New Haven opened in 1911. The Shore Line Electric Railway ran until 1919; the successor New Haven & Shore Line operated from 1923 to 1930.


Cars from New Haven reached Hamden via Dixwell Av., State St. and Whitney Av. Through cars to Cheshire and Waterbury also ran on Whitney Av.


The first automobile regulations in America were enacted in Hartford in 1901 - speed limit 12 miles per hour, 8 miles per hour in the city center. Trolleys ran on the streets of Connecticut's capitol until 1941.


Danielson was the largest cotton manufacturing center in the state. Providence & Danielson cars ran from Danielson through East Killingly into Rhode Island. The Conn. Co. and its predecessors ran north-south through the mill towns along the Quinnebaug River until 1925.


The Norwich & Westerly ran across the northwest corner of the town from 1909 to 1922.


Trolleys passed through the Round Hill area of the town on the New Haven RR line along the Quinnebaug River from 1906 to 1925. The area was sparsely settled and few people got on or off in Lisbon.


Madison was served by the Shore Line Electric Railway from 1910 to 1919 and by the New Haven & Shore Line from 1923 to 1929

New London

New London is on one of the deepest harbors on the Atlantic and was one of the largest whaling ports. The Conn. Co. New London Division was operated by the Shore Line Electric Railway 1913-1919. Streetcars last ran in 1934.


Newington was served by cars on the Hartford-New Britain line until 1937.


Oysters were the town's principle product, but there were also factories in South Norwalk manufacturing tires, hats and hardware. Local streetcars operated until 1933 and the line from Bridgeport continued to run until 1935.


An 1893 experimental electric locomotive was in regular use at the Taftville Cotton Mill from 1894 to 1964. Local streetcars ran until 1936.

Old Lyme

The Shore Line Electric Railway ran through Laysville and Old Lyme from 1913 to 1919.

Old Saybrook

Trolleys served the central portion of the town, bypassing the summer resort communities along the seashore. The Shore Line Electric Railway operated from 1910 to 1919 and the successor New Haven & Shore Line ran from 1923 to 1929.


Cars on the New Haven-Derby line ran across the northern edge of the town from 1904 to 1937. The trolley line was alongside the Derby Turnpike, a toll road built in 1800.


The Peoples Tramway began operating between Wauregan and Central Village in 1902. A branch line went from Central Village to the single street community of Moosup. Trolleys ran through the mill towns along the Quinnebaug River until 1925. South of Central Village trolleys ran on the New Haven RR.


The small manufacturing center of Plainville produced steel bearings and electrical equipment. It was served by the Bristol-Plainville Tramway / Bristol Traction Co. running west to Bristol and the Conn. Co. running east to New Britain and south to Lake Compounce.

« of 4 »