Car 316 was built in 1895 for the Union Railway, which operated in the Bronx and lower Westchester County, NY. In its later years, it was converted to that line’s car number 1, the pay car. Before the era of checks or direct deposit, the pay car would make its rounds on the system to dispense cash to trolley line workers for their payroll. 316 was significantly modified when it became pay car number 1. Restoration of this car to its original configuration was one of the first major projects undertaken by the museum in its early days, and today it is lovingly restored and maintained in operating condition by a father and son team of museum members.