Car 6688 was ordered by the City of New York in 1955 to replace some of the original 1904-1907 vintage IRT cars. It was one of the first cars to be painted in the well-known red and silver scheme and looks similar to the thousands of “redbird” cars that were retired ca. 2001. It was preserved at the museum in 1987 and operates frequently on the Shore Line.