Toronto Transit Commission 2898
Peter Witt was a Cleveland street railway commissioner who studied the economics of street car design and operation. In 1914 he patented a new design, whereby passengers entered through the front door only and exited only through a wide center door, relieving a lot of the slow congestion on busy urban streetcar routes. Toronto had one of the largest fleets of Peter Witt style streetcars, ordering 575 cars during the early 1920s. 2898 came to the museum after a 40+ year career on the streets of Toronto, and regularly hosts special seasonal guests such as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
Built in: 1923 by Canadian Car & Foundry
In service: Toronto Transit Commission
Acquired by the museum in: 1965
About car 2898
Num/Owner/City: 2898 Toronto Transit Commission Toronto
Builder: Ottawa Car Co.
Date Built: 1923
Num Trucks: 2
Truck Type: Canadian Car & Foundry 177
Num Motors: 4
Type: streetcar “Peter Witt”
Comment: converted to one-man car in 1930s