Connecticut Co. 1199
Stamford Division 283 was built specifically for use on the suburban line to Norwalk. Its overall height is reduced to provide sufficient clearance beneath several low New Haven RR bridges along the route. It became 1199 in the Connecticut Co. renumbering scheme of 1915. After Stamford Division streetcar service ended in 1933, the car was transferred to the New Haven Division, where it remained until 1948. Being slightly different from the other streetcars in New Haven, 1199 was frequently chartered for fan trips. This made it a popular car and it was selected for preservation at the museum. It ran from New Haven to East Haven under its own power in March, 1948 and is currently undergoing restoration.
Built in: 1906 by John Stephenson Car Co
Consolidated Railway Co.
Acquired by the museum in: 1948
About car 1199
Num/Owner/City: 1199 ConnCo Stamford CT
Num/Owner/City: 283 ConnCo Stamford CT
Date Built: 1907
Num Trucks: 2
Truck Type: Standard C-50
Num Motors: 4