Saturday April 29th turned out to be a great day weather wise, just a little drizzle in Am then a beautiful day. With over 110 members in attendance, each had a chance to operate or ride on a number of cars (316, 1504, 302, 1602, 850, 6688, R-9, 865, 1792 and 5466). In addition a number of recently repaired cars where on display: 500, 2898, 220, 4573, 503 and 2001. There was an added feature this year in that with the lead to building 9 complete, the Atlas offered trips all day into 9 and car 25 NJT PCC offered rides on the lower run-around track. There where cars running every which way all day.
Breakfast was served at 0900 and then off to the trolleys, at 11 AM was the dedication of the “G” scale set in memory of past board member Lee Lagerstrom. Lunch was served from 12 to 1 PM and back to the trolleys. At 3 Pm we cut the cake a long honored tradition at BERA, there might have been a few fingers of frosting left on the sheet, but our Assistant treasurer made short work of the frosting.
At 5 PM a dinner was served with: Rolls, baked Ziti, Chicken Marcella, Eggplant Rollotini, Roast Beef and Pan fried potatoes. No one left hungry after that dinner! In all there where many happy faces after operating their favorite car down the line. With the Talley not in we estimate over 45 trips where made down the line. By 9 PM the last of the trips was made and cars put away for the night.
Great start to the 2017 season!!
March 4, 2017
The 2017 operator class started on March 4th at 10 AM. This year’s class includes 12 students that will learn how to operate a trolley car and about the history of the museum and its cars. The course work includes a lot of handle time, as these students experienced on their first day of class.
Over the next four weeks the students will learn about: brake operation, electric signals, history of the museum, review of rule book, track switches and overhead line, emergency stopping, shop and yard procedures, taking out and putting away cars, giving tours and ending with a final exam. In addition to learning they will be experiencing operations by operating a number of different cars at the museum.
On February 11, 2017, the Board of Trustees promoted John Proto to Executive Director. John has been our Museum Director for the past six months and replaces Wayne Sandford who served as General Manager for the past 5+ years filling in while mentoring his replacement. Wayne was serving two roles, the second as President which he will maintain.
John brings to the museum a wealth of experience and knowledge that will help the museum to continue to move forward. John has visited the museum every year from the age of 5 and became a member over 25 years ago. He’s been an active volunteer for the past 15 years. Although his volunteer role at the museum was primarily public operations, administrative and technical support, he has a passion for rail transportation as well as electrical and electro-mechanical restoration. His non-profit background extends over 20 years in the areas of budget and finance, development and fund-raising, volunteer recruitment and retention, and information technology.
John’s hours are normally Mon-Fri but he is often at the museum during ‘non business hours’ especially during the operating season. John’s office is located at 14 River St.February 24, 2017
For the past 5 years the museum has run the Railroading merit badge program for scouts free of charge. Each year we have had to find a scout leader to sign off on the work completed by the scouts. But no more, our Railroad badge Coordinator Howard Williams has secured the necessary training and education to sign the merit badge cards for scouts that attend the program. Over thirty scouts attended the 2016 workshop. The 2017 date is Saturday November 4th.
Seven (including two Eagle) scouts signed-off on the badge by our very own Howard Williams. This is Troop 12, Milford, CT.February 15, 2017
December 15, 2016
October 1, 2016
Car 316 is the last original Union Railway trolley in existence. The car was built by the American Car Company in 1896 and operated in the Bronx. In 1899 was absorbed into the Third Ave Railway, staying in service until 1909. After that these small cars where replaced by larger capacity cars and sold off. Car 316 became Pay car 1 with seats removed and cashers’ window installed. It traveled all over the system, paying employees. 316 is now fully restored by member R Parente. The body restoration took over ten years and was fully funded by the Parente family.
August 6, 2016
On Sunday September 11th at 12 noon the Shore Line Trolley Museum will dedicate and open for the first time car 745 to the public.
Car 745 was the lead car (on the north end) of a 7-car train which had left Hoboken at 8:42 AM, arrived on Track 3 at about 8:52, and was due to depart the loop station at 9:00 AM for the return trip to New Jersey. Behind it were cars 143-160-845-750-139-612. When the unthinkable happened, the entire PATH station was ordered evacuated, employees included. As a result, there was no loss of life on the train or in the station. Read more »May 17, 2016
Presented by The New York City Model Transit Association & The Shore Line Trolley Museum
Join us on Saturday, June 4, 2016 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
At The Rutgers Student Center, 126 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901.
- Operating layouts – Featuring Model Trolley, Rapid Transit, and Bus Equipment.
- Dealers – Models, Equipment, Books, Videos, Photos, Memorabilia and More!
- Model Clinics – “How to” sessions on building cars, structures, and more!
- Model Contests
- Historic Bus Exhibit
Spouse & Children – Free
All proceeds, after expenses, benefit The Shore Line Trolley Museum.
Easy transportation via NJ Transit, Amtrak, & buses from NYC. Rutgers Campus buses to the door. Free parking available.
Questions? Contact the NYC Model Transit Association: